[GRASS-user] Problem with installing R/Grass interface on Ubuntu

Stefano Costa steko at iosa.it
Tue Sep 26 07:24:36 EDT 2006

Il giorno mar, 26/09/2006 alle 12.05 +0200, Roger Bivand ha scritto:

> Yes, the rgdal R package, on which spgrass6 depends, requires GDAL >=
> 1.3.1.
>
> Please do consider installing your software from source, if possible
> starting from PROJ.4 and GDAL, then R and the packages needed within
> (which will be built from source anyway).
>
> There have been reports of Ubuntu/Debian binary installs putting
> headers
> and libraries in unlikely places needing subsequent manual
> intervention,
> and/or having the list of directories containing shared objects in
> unlikely places.

http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/123

here some useful hints for installing GRASS & Co. from source on
Debian/Ubuntu. It's not so hard...

> It would be useful to have input from Ubuntu/Debian users
> showing how they have succeeded, I do not have access to such systems
> (and
> in any case prefer to install these kinds of applications from
> source).

I'm on Ubuntu Dapper here, but because of old packages in the repos, I
got the whole GIS toolchain compiled from scratch (proj4, gdal, geos,
grass, qgis). spgrass6 installed w/o any problem on my machine running a
precompiled binary of R 2.2.1.

Best regards,

Steko

--
Stefano Costa
http://www.iosa.it Software Open Source per l'Archeologia
Jabber: steko at jabber.linux.it
GnuPG Key ID 1024D/0xD0D30245
Linux Registered User #385969 counter.li.org