[GRASS-user] MS-Windows native GRASS & shell scripts

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 09:29:47 EDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 12:28:05PM +0200, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Roger Bivand wrote:
> >On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Luigi Ponti wrote:
> >>Dear list,
> >>I have finally found some time to install the new native winGRASS by Huidae
> >>Cho and it was OK.
> >>I was wondering if it is possible to run some scripts I wrote (bash scripts,
> >>containing calls to perl scripts that also use gnuplot) under the new
> >>winGRASS. Based on my ignorance, this sounded to me like impossible (since it
> >>is a Minimalist GNU), then I read in the MinGW FAQ's that you could...
> >I think you need first to read up on MSYS, which can provide what you need in
> >a simpler way than Cygwin. The MS-Windows native binary is actually an MSYS
> >build - MSYS provides enough shell-level support to run configure scripts. If
> >Windows Perl and gnuplot are available in your path, they should also
> >integrate well enough. There are issues with the ordering of directories in
> >the path, which is not always simple, but may be less of a problem than using
> >Cygwin.
> >A concern that I have had is that the current installation is rather invasive
> >- I already have MinGW and MSYS (and tcltk), and build proj4 and GDAL there
> >anyway, but the install procedure seems to assume a "bare" platform - is it
> >possible to respect the fact that some software may already be present? By the
> >way, I think PostgreSQL is absolute overkill for Windows.

If you already have a running system, all you need to do is to unzip
under /usr/local whatever *.zip you didn't install.

> I agree, but Huidae said:
>
>  > PostgreSQL is required since some of modules are linked against their
>  > libraries.
>
> Huidae, would it be possible to limit this to some runtime libraries, and not
> the entire postgresql server ?

Yes, actually, you can unzip just
postgresql-8.1.3-1-binaries-no-installer.zip under /usr/local
(http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/BuildingWindowsBinaryOnLinux#head-179fd16effa987475a5cf295957fccfeb83f343e).
But, then the user should know how to initiate/start the postgres
daemon.  I think PostgreSQL will be a good option for some people.

> Also, it might be interesting to put compiling instructions on the web, so that
> people could compile without Postgresql support if they wanted to.

I'll sometime put compilation instructions on my page.  I'm too lazy to
make patch files and upload them. :-(.

> I also find that MSYS is a pretty heavy dependency (several hundreds of MB...).
> Could that be trimmed down in any way ?

I know, but we have tons of useful shell scripts we don't want to dump.

Huidae