[GRASS-user] Viewsheds

Mark Lake mark.lake at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 27 05:26:35 EDT 2006

Paul,

> Before I recommend to my boss that we use GRASS for
> this, I wanted to confirm that r.los does, in fact, account for the
> Earth's
> curvature. Unfortunately, the online manpage makes no mention of
> it, so I
> was wondering if anyone can tell me if it does or doesn't.

r.los does not correct for curvature of the earth.  The latest
version of r.cva - upgraded by benjamin Ducke - does however have
this option.  You can get it from my site <http://www.ucl.ac.uk/
~tcrnmar/> or Benjamin's site <http://www.uni-kiel.de/ufg/
ufg_BerDucke.htm>.

Although r.cva is designed for multiple and cumulative viewshed
analysis, you can use it for calculating individual viewsheds if you
create a vector map containing the single viewpoint.  Note also that
whereas r.los returns a map containing the inclination at which
target cells are visible, r.cva (when used to calculate one viewshed)
will essentially just return a binary map (i.e. visible or not).  You
will also need to invoke the -f flag (see the man page) to get the
effect you want.

Mark

--
Dr Mark Lake