[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Views in pgSQL

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Apr 11 12:15:20 EDT 2007

On 11/04/07 17:37, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 05:25:24PM +0200, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>> On 11/04/07 13:48, Jaros??aw Jasiewicz wrote:
>>> Moritz Lennert napisa??(a):

>> Sorry, I spoke to fast. I think I now found the culprit:
>>
>> revision 1.40
>> date: 2006/11/28 08:42:02;  author: markus;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
>> if table doesn't exist: fatal error
>
> Which file is that?
> Ah, below I see that you mean v.db.connect/main.c.

Yes, sorry.

>>> BTW:
>>> Pg Views are very important for me when I connect-reconnect vector files
>>> to different atribute table. I use (used!) views insted of original
>>> table to avoid occasional removing original data and to speed up
>>> transfer limiting data in views only to these needed for
>>> (sorry, I think everybody knows it)
>> I completely agree with you. Being able to connect maps to views is
>> fundamental in my eyes.
>
> Yes. But we need a reasonable implementation.
> Anyone with suggestions how to implement it?

For me the choice is either

1) to consider views as tables (and thus change the way the individual
drivers list tables) or

2) to treat them as separate and change v.db.connect so that it checks
for both.

1) seems much easier to implement, 2) seems cleaner in case we need to
list tables only, not views, in other contexts than v.db.connect.

Moritz