[GRASS-user] Question concerning r.to.vect and out of memory error

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Apr 25 18:28:46 EDT 2007

Rainer M. Krug wrote:

> my system: SuSE 10.2, Dual core processor, 1GP physical memory, 16GB
> swap (one swap partition of 1GB and one swap file of 15GB)

32 or 64-bit CPU/OS?

> I have a huge DEM from which I calculated the slopes and categorised
> them in 10% classes. Now I want to use r.to.vect to convert them into a
> vector layer of type area. My problem is that I get an out of memory
> error, even though there is enough memory available. It seems that GRASS
> 6.2.1 only uses the swap partition and not the swap file (which would be
> really strange).

If you're on a 32-bit system, you may be running into the upper limit
on the amount of memory which can be used by a single process. The
exact figure can vary between systems, but anything over 2GB is
pushing it. Adding more swap (or RAM) won't help if the issue is with
a single process.