[GRASS-user] Converting slopes from huge DEM into vector (area)

Rainer M. Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Thu Apr 26 03:17:14 EDT 2007

Hi

I have a huge raster, representing the slopes of a huge DEM (Rows:
   25960, Columns: 23211, Total Cells:  602557560, Type CELL).
I would like to use R.to.vect to convert it to a vector layer of type
area. Due to memory requirements, it does not work in one step.

I thought of splitting the raster into several smaller rasters (let's
say into 100 smaller rasters of the same resolution) for which I could
use r.to.vect to create the vector layers and in a final step patch the
vector layers together again.

Before going into the details: is this a feasible approach (I can't
reduce the resolution as the resolution is needed) or is there another
solution?

But I am stuck in the first step:
how can I split one large raster layer into several smaller?

and:
What is the easiest way to write the script to do the calculations for
all 100 raster layers? (I haven't used the scripting in GRASS 6.2.1 yet,
but I have done a bit scripting under the bash shell)

Any help is welcome,

Rainer

--
NEW EMAIL ADDRESS AND ADDRESS:

Rainer.Krug at uct.ac.za

RKrug at sun.ac.za WILL BE DISCONTINUED END OF MARCH

Rainer M. Krug, Dipl. Phys. (Germany), MSc Conservation
Biology (UCT)

Leslie Hill Institute for Plant Conservation
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7701
South Africa

Fax:		+27 - (0)86 516 2782