[GRASS-user] Re: v.net.salesman unreachable nodes

Joseph Guillaume josephguillaume at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 12:44:19 EDT 2007

Thanks everybody!

It turns out my road network *was* faulty in the first place - the point
features were well placed, but the roads were interrupted by bad
intersections, as shown by v.digit (which btw, seems to be using much more
memory in the latest cvs snapshot than in debian unstable version 6.2 -
~700MB where previously it didn't even have to swap)

I fixed this using v.clean's snap on just the road network which apparently
hadn't worked previously because I'd forgotten to specify a threshold, and
the default wasn't sufficient. Snapping the lines meant that some of the
previously ok features were now off the line, which is where the connect
came in.

The v.net connect tool in the latest CVS snapshot worked like a charm
(though the provided cvs debian package was too old - you weren't kidding
that it was a new feature :-P), and the worked example was a perfect guide
too.

I then went back and tried to follow the rest of the connecting instructions
in the tutorial (p89), but it didn't quite work as well as the new tool.
Looks like I started using GRASS at just the right time for my problems... I
still managed to get a few shortest paths working where previously I was
getting nothing - the main problem definitely was with the dataset.

Thanks for the links to other datasets. In this particular case though, I
wanted to clean up the one I had, because it's a university-provided dataset
of the local region. They may come in handy later though :-)

Thanks again!

Joseph