[GRASS-user] Re: [winGRASS] running cygwin/grass 6.1, 6.2 and native 6.3 on the same xp machine

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Aug 8 08:25:29 EDT 2007

Luigi Ponti wrote:

> I am currently still with the 6.1cvs cygwin/grass binaries but would
> like to run the cygwin 6.2.1 and the native 6.3 versions of grass for
> testing purposes on the same windows xp machine.
>
> To my knowledge, different cygwin/grass versions use different cygwin
> packages, and the native wingrass requires setting environmental
> variables that may interfere with the cygwin version.
>
> Is there any precautionary measures I should take in order to avoid
> interference between the different versions and to be able to test newer
> versions without losing the ability of working with the old one?

There shouldn't be any problem with having multiple Cygwin builds of
GRASS. If there is, I'd suggest moving to 6.2.1. The 6.1 branch ended
with the release of 6.1.0; there won't be any updates.

As for conflicting environment variables: I suggest editing MSys'
/etc/profile (or ~/.profile etc) to explicitly clear any
Cygwin-related settings. Specifically, unset the CYGWIN variable;
there shouldn't be any other applicable variables.