[GRASS-user] Gdal problem with Grass 6.2.2

Anthony Fransos acfransos at aanet.com.au
Sun Aug 12 04:22:50 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I have been using Grass6.0 on Fedora Core 3 for a few years.  I bought a
new computer, installed Fedora Core 5 and installed Grass-6.2.2 ( I
don't want to be at the cutting edge), with SQLite, Gdal etc etc.

The installation went okay.  However, when I use the command gis m &  i
get the following error:

g.region: error while loading shared libraries: libgdal.so.1: cannot

I can still work with some commands, eg, importing Arc-info E00 files.
But if I want to display a vector map using d.vect, I get the error:

d.vect: error while loading shared libraries: libgdal.so.1: cannot open

SO there seems to be a problem with gdal.  The gdal libraries are
in /usr/local/lib (including libgdal.so.1) and I am using gdal 1.4.2  .

I have found some references on the web to this problem, but I find the
proposed solutions a bit vague and I have not been able to fix the
problem using them.

Can anyone help me?

Regards,
Tony Fransos