[GRASS-user] Label difficulties

Adam Dershowitz adershowitz at exponent.com
Mon Aug 27 12:14:22 EDT 2007

I am trying to work with a map that has multi-line vector labels,
over a raster basemap.  I have tried it a few different ways and run
into different problems with each.
I am using the 6.3 binary by William Kyngesburye on  Mac.
First I just tried adding the two characters "\n" to the labels, then
ran v.label.
If I then add a raster label layer it does go over several lines, and
all looks correct.  The problem is when I try to save it to jpg and
print it that the text is too "pixelated" and looks terrible (also
looks the same if I save it to a pdf).  I tried changing the
resolution with g.region, but it did not seem to have any effect.
The current region is set to the resolution of the actual raster
basemap, so maybe that is why?
Next I tried adding a postscript label layer instead.  That layer
looks good on the screen and when saved to a PDF, in terms of the
resolution.  The problem is that the "\n" in the text is showing up
explicitly, as those two characters, rather then causing a new line
in the labels.  So the labels have these extra characters and break
in odd places.  This is the case both when viewing this layer in the
Map display and the saved version.
So my main question is how can I get good quality multi-line labels
to a saved file?  Is there a way to cause the font resolution to be
higher in my raster layer?  Is there a way to get a vector layer to
break across multiple lines where I want?  Is there some other
solution that I am missing?

Thanks,

--Adam