[GRASS-user] installation grass 6.2.2-1 on cygwin

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Aug 29 10:52:25 EDT 2007

Hamish wrote:

> > I'd suggest modifying setup.ini to include the tcltk-grass package as
> > a requirement. Although, the tcltk-grass package doesn't list its
> > requirements (xorg-x11-base should definitely be in there).
>
> Done & done. As for tcltk-grass requirement, I doubt folks will install
> that package without the grass package, so hopefully all the grass
> requires: items will take care of tcltk-grass's needs. If not, we can deal
> with it as bug reports come in. Or copy what the main cygwin tcltk
> package's requires: has.
>
> My only concern is that the tcltk-grass package might need to have a
> conflicts: with the standard cygwin tcltk package; probably a provides:
> tcltk too, to keep other packages which need tcltk happy. (I don't know if
> those are real cygwin keywords- just to give you the idea using the
> Debian versions)

The tcltk-grass is completely different to Cygwin's Tcl/Tk. Cygwin's
version doesn't use X, and uses Windows pathnames rather than Cygwin
pathnames (presumably so that you can cut+paste filenames). The result
is that programs compiled for Cygwin's Tcl/Tk (AFAICT, this means gdb)
will only work with that version.

The two versions shouldn't conflict; tcltk-grass goes into /usr/local,
and contains static libraries, whereas Cygwin's version has DLLs.

[GRASS binaries which are linked against Tcl/Tk (e.g. NVIZ and
v.digit) still need the package for the /usr/local/lib/{tcl,tk}8.4
directories, while gis.m needs wish.]

> Also, should the 6.2.1 grass package be removed from setup.ini, or does it
> not matter?

It doesn't matter. Cygwin's setup program allows you to choose a
specific version (e.g. in case the latest version doesn't work).