[GRASS-user] Correction of terrain effects for MODIS data?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Dec 1 16:11:28 EST 2007

Markus,

thank you for the interest.

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 12:54 -0800, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi Nikos,
>
> do you use
> MODIS/Terra Surface Reflectance Daily L2G Global 250m SIN Grid V005
>  http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/modis/mod09gqv5.asp
> MODIS/Aqua Surface Reflectance Daily L2G Global 250m SIN Grid V005
>  http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/modis/myd09gqv5.asp
> ?
Yes. And a earlier image (version 4) in 2006.

> Did you check the ATBD08 (Algorithm Technical Background Document)?
> http://modis.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/atbd/atbd_mod08.pdf
> But indeed - it doesn't seem to mention it.
I ve read almost every line from the MODIS algorithm.

There seems to be an attempt to couple BRDF but no DEM is incorporated
in the approach.

I even contacted Kamel Didan working very close with MODIS-people and
knows the authors of ATBD. He pointed out to look for another paper and,
why not, contact the authors of ATBD. I am planning to do so.

FYI, I attach his reply below as a P.S.

> here maybe some pointers:
> http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=modis+terrain+correction&hl=en&lr=&scoring=r&as_ylo=2002

I am looking at it now...

> Markus

Best regards,

Nikos
---

P.S.

                              From:
kamel <kamel at Ag.arizona.edu>
                                To:
Nikos Alexandris
<nikos.alexandris at grid.unep.ch>
                                Cc:
kamel at cals.arizona.edu
Re: Correction for terrain effects
in MODIS surface
reflectance products (?)
                              Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:30:25 -0700
(17:30 CET)

No problem, but I'm not an expert on atmosphere correction to give you
the most accurate & up to date answer.

Nonetheless, here is some info.

The current MOD09 surf. corr. algorithm does account for terrain relief,
but at a coarser resolution.
you can read their ATBD (it is very long)
http://modis-sr.ltdri.org/MAIN_SURFACE_PRODUCTAND%20USER%
20GUIDE/atbd_mod08.pdf

For a more accurate description of correction over rugged terrain look
at the Dozier paper:
J. Dozier and J. Frew, 1981: Atmospheric corrections to satellite
radiometric data over
rugged terrain. Remote Sens. Environ.,11,191-205.

Obviously it is important to account for the terrain relief (atmosphere
thickness) and aspect.
But it is quite hard in practice especially since you're limited with
your input data to the atmosphere
correction model.  At coarse resolution it is even more complex because
of the complexity of the pixels.

For further information please contact Drs Alex and Eric they may have a
better idea and better suggestions.

Alex Lyapustin  alyapust at pop900.gsfc.nasa.gov

Eric Vermote   eric at ltdri.org

Good luck,