[GRASS-user] 3D graphics, two problems, one more time

Tomas Lanczos lanczos at t-zones.sk
Wed Dec 5 06:41:46 EST 2007

Maybe nobody ho knows was nearby the comp during the weekend, so I am
trying once more, many thanks for Your patience. At least a hint, pls.,
solve these problems is essential for me...

   > I have two questions regarding 3D rasters:
   >
   > 1. is there any rule of thumb for generating 3D rasters by v.vol.rst?
The 3D raster represented by a cross section on the picture (see the
attachment) is generated from a 3D vector (this one is created from 2D
vectors layered each 250 m in interval -500 to -6000 below sea level).
in the central part ther is apparent a strong oscillation, the outer
part is segmentated. How can I avoid those artifacts e.g. changing
settings (npmin > 500 is causing segfaults) ?

   > 2. Using nviz the 3D raster is allways visualised above 0 m a.s.l,
however all is below see level (as I explained above) and the 3D region
is set to be within -500 and -6000. The raster surface is visualised
correctly, it should penetrate the 3D raster. The cross-section between
them created in r3.cross.rast is correct, consequently I assume that the
problem should be in visualising in nviz  - am I right? Am I doing
something wrong, or is it a bug?