[GRASS-user] working with shapefiles

Vincent BAIN bain at toraval.fr
Wed Dec 5 03:38:56 EST 2007

Hi all,
my problem is about topology and attribute storing :
(I work on Grass 6.3-cvs, connected to a postgresql database)
*  I start from a line shapefile representing polygons boundaries,
*  import it with v.in.ogr, and the option 'boundaries' ;

In order to build a topologically correct map, grass generates nodes at
each boundary intersection, and it is actually what I want...
The problem is elsewhere : the source shapefile, non-topological,
contains certain lines that are not splitted at intersections. So, let's
say the original shape contains 340 lines, the imported map then will
contain 385 boundaries. But the attribute table contains 340 records
(340 categories).

For some reasons (exporting the table in an ascii format) I would like
to have 385 records in the attribute table, that is in a way to
duplicate certain records.

What would you suggest me to do ?

(my temporary and dirty solution was to export the boundaries in a line
shapefile, then re-import it... not very clean)

Thank you !
Vincent