[GRASS-user] Database for GRASS

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Dec 6 02:11:19 EST 2007

I really recommend PostgreSQL/Postgis. It might be a little more complex
to use than Filemaker, but it is easier to use than Oracle or DB2. I
believe it is the most widely supported spatial database in Open Source
GIS, but also increasingly in the commercial world (ESRI 9.3 will support
it through ArcSDE). Also it has a lot more spatial functionality than
MySQL or DB2. Don't know about Oracle Spatial.

As for database administration I recommend the GUI admin tool pgadmin3,
which is very intuitive and cross-platform. It misses the form-part of
Filemaker, but other than that it is really easy to use.

Andreas