[GRASS-user] Database for GRASS

Nick Cahill ndcahill at wisc.edu
Thu Dec 6 10:25:18 EST 2007

There was a discussion some time ago about the possibility of using
Filemaker databases with GRASS. The newest version of Filemaker (9)
makes a big deal of how it can work with sql databases. See http://www.filemaker.com/support/technologies/sql.html
. You use (i.e. buy separately) an ODBC driver to allow Filemaker to
access existing SQL databases as external data sources. I did this
with some of my GRASS and other databases, using (so far) only the
free trial version of the ODBC driver. The connectivity is now limited
to MySQL, not Postgres, but this could easily change, I imagine, and
may be possible to get around already; I haven't tried. I then created
a dummy Filemaker file, which has no real data but is just a front end
into that SQL database. it worked fine, although I haven't paid the
$29 for the full version of the ODBC driver so I can't tell whether
it's fast enough with large databases. With this system, though, I
don't think you can create or drop databases, or otherwise administer
them, adding or modifying fields, etc. So you still need to install
postgres or mysql, configure them, and create the databases. You can
populate the database in Filemaker, edit data, create reports, and
such, all of which is pretty easy and intuitive. Then GRASS can access
the mysql database directly -- not the filemaker database, but the
data that Filemaker is accessing as an external data source.

For me, the advantages of using Filemaker as a front end didn't seem
that great -- you still have to create & administer the databases, and
there are some excellent tools for doing that. I like Aqua Data
Studio, whose last version was free for personal use (the current one
isn't, and I haven't used it). I've also tried CocoaMySQL, which is
also free. Both have reasonably good editing tools. There are a large
number of other front ends to postgres or mysql that offer a more
intuitive user interface. This is probably more important than whether
you use postgres or mysql or sqlite as the back-end database (I guess
-- others will know better...). I haven't used OpenOffice.

This isn't exactly what you want -- you're looking for a driver that
would allow GRASS to access native Filemaker databases directly,
instead of having Filemaker access a sql database. I don't know if
this is possible, but am interested in it if it were.

Cheers,

Nick Cahill