[GRASS-user] any tips/advice for workign with MODIS data?

mhall at berkeley.edu mhall at berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 6 14:46:05 EST 2007

>         I guess it may be a fill (``null'') value of the source data
set.  Try to eliminate it with, e. g.:

> $ r.null map=BAND setnull=-28672
>
>         and check the range afterwards.  You may eliminate HEG's own
fill value as well with $ ... setnull=0.

>  > to approx. 9000 .

Thanks much! This solved the bulk of my headaches.

>  > Any suggestions on what to try next?
>
>         In the ``Tutorial on Producing MODIS True Color Images'' [1],
authors suggest a table to be used for translating MODIS
reflectances into RGB values.  You may apply this table to each
of the bands (via $ r.colors ... color=rules) prior to using
`r.composite'.  IIRC, the result was about of the same quality
as the example in the tutorual when I've last tried that.

I'll have to play around with that.

> PS.  May be a wiki [2] page for MODIS-related issues?

I guess this will be a project to take a stab at it during the university
holiday furlough...

Best and Thanks, Mark Hall