[GRASS-user] Inverse PCA in GRASS

Michael Perdue michael_perdue at yahoo.ca
Thu Dec 6 17:47:17 EST 2007

Venka,
I think what your asking is if anyone knows how to apply the
transformation matrix that was used to derive you pca components in
reverse to get back to the original coordinate system. Something like
what is done in a decorrelation stretch?
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can elaborate, but the
general idea is as follows;

if the i.pca is capable of divulging the eigenvectors, you can use
r.mapcalc to apply them in reverse. else;

r.covar -> m.eigensystem -> mapcalc -> "do something with your
principal components" -> mapcalc (inverse rotation) -> "original
coordinate system"

You can take a look at the bottom of the r.covar page for more info.
The big "if" is on the status of m.eigensystem. I tried the link to
the manual page and it is broken so I'm unsure of it's status.

Cheers,

Mike