[GRASS-user] compiler,etc.

Precila Salcedo precy11 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 06:49:28 EST 2007

Dear List,

May I ask help from you regarding the following?

1. appropriate compiler (bash shell????) to use for
specific GRASS versions, kindly write opposite each
versions the appropriate compiler i must use (ex. for
Grass 5.0 - Cygwin, for Grass 6.8 - MSYS)

below are the list of old and new versions of GRASS.

2. when do i use Cygwin as a compiler for Grass and
when to use MSYS? do i need to use MSYS when the GRASS
Version has GUI?

3. which versions have GUI? does it mean that if a
GRASS version has GUI; it is windows-friendly as well?

4. what are teh diferences between beta, ORC and CVS.

Thanks a lot. i dont have any programming background,
as such these things are not clear to me.

Please reply to this email, im not yet in the list.

Precila

OLD GRASS VERSIONS

• Grass 3.2 -
• Grass 4.0 -
• Grass 4.1 -
• Grass 4.2 and
• Grass 4.2.1 merged into
• Grass 4.3 -
• Grass 5.0 (Beta)-
• Grass 5.0
• Grass 5.1
• Grass 5.3
• Grass 5.4
• Grass 5.7

NEW GRASS VERSIONS (not complete because i dont know
the other latest versions yet)

Release history:
• GRASS GIS 6.1.0 technology preview released 11
August 2006
• GRASS GIS 6.2.0beta1 released 28 August 2006
• GRASS GIS 6.2.0beta2 released 30 August 2006
• GRASS GIS 6.2.0beta3 released 18 September 2006
• GRASS GIS 6.2.0RC1 released 26 September 2006
• GRASS GIS 6.2.0RC2 released 6 October 2006
• GRASS GIS 6.2.0RC3 released 24 October 2006
• GRASS GIS 6.2.0 released 31 October 2006
• GRASS GIS 6.2.1 released 12 Dec 2006

• Grass 6.0.1
• Grass 6.1 _ USE CYGWIN
• Grass 6.3 CVS – USE MSYS