[GRASS-user] compiler,etc.

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Feb 2 00:40:48 EST 2007

Precila Salcedo wrote:

> May I ask help from you regarding the following?
>
> 1. appropriate compiler (bash shell????) to use for
> specific GRASS versions, kindly write opposite each
> versions the appropriate compiler i must use (ex. for
> Grass 5.0 - Cygwin, for Grass 6.8 - MSYS)
>
> below are the list of old and new versions of GRASS.
>
> 2. when do i use Cygwin as a compiler for Grass and
> when to use MSYS? do i need to use MSYS when the GRASS
> Version has GUI?
>
> 3. which versions have GUI? does it mean that if a
> GRASS version has GUI; it is windows-friendly as well?

I think that you may be getting confused. GRASS can be built for two
different Windows "platforms": Cygwin and MSys.

Building GRASS for MSys is currently in the "experimental" stage; it's
more complex than building for Cygwin, and various things don't work
yet. If you just want to use GRASS, I strongly recommend using the
Cygwin version.

The GRASS GUI (gis.m) is written in Tcl/Tk, and works on both
platforms. The Cygwin version uses a Unix/X11 version of Tcl/Tk and
requires an X server. The MSys version uses a native Windows version
of Tcl/Tk. Also, with MSys, you have to use the GUI for any graphical
output, as the monitor-based graphical system doesn't work there.

Also, Note that the MinGW/MSys option is only available for relatively
recent versions of GRASS; older versions require Cygwin.

> 4. what are teh diferences between beta, ORC and CVS.

"CVS" refers to the latest version in the CVS (Concurrent Versions
System) repository. This is where developers make changes to the GRASS
source code. It is the most up-to-date version, with the latest
features; consequently, it has the least amount of testing.

"beta" and "RC" (Release Candidate) versions both refer to specific
releases made from the release branch. When developers make changes,
the changes are made to the "trunk"; once those changes have had some
testing, they eventually get merged into the release branch.

IOW, the release branch doesn't have the most recent features, but has
had more testing than the trunk. Beta/RC releases are essentially
snapshots of the release branch at specific points in time.