[GRASS-user] negative slope values and movement costs

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Feb 1 12:38:07 EST 2007

If you are calculating round-trip, simply create a slope map and use the
original Tobler algorithm to make a positive (i.e. uphill) cost map and a
negative (downhill) cost map. Then add them together and use the summed
result as the basis for a round-trip cost surface. If you are doing one-way
only you¹ll need an anisotropic algorithm. Perhaps you can modify the
coefficients in r.walk to simulate a Tobler result. If not you can create
the whole thing in the map calculator (e.g., using neighborhood functions)
or the best way would be to work with Markus on r.walk to add the Tobler
algorithm as an option if it is widely used and generally desirable.

Michael

Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671