[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii and overlapping areas

Jason Horn jhorn at bu.edu
Fri Feb 2 15:32:54 EST 2007

I'm confused about how grass decides what is an area with a centroid,
and what is a boundary with a point inside it.  I am using v.in.ascii
to import a text file in standard mode.  The file contains two
circles (boundaries) and two points (their centroids).  The circle
boundaries overlap.  I have notices that if the circles are close
together, so that the center point of one is with the boundary of the
other, I end up with one circle that is an area with a centroid, and
a non-area boundary and a point.    If the circles are a little
further apart, I get two areas and their corresponding centroids.

I need both circles and their center points to import as areas with
centroids, no matter how close together they are.

Can anyone explain what's going on here?

Thanks,

- Jason