[winGRASS] Re: [GRASS-user] Re: Xganim errors in WinGRASS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Feb 9 09:50:53 EST 2007

Hamish wrote:

> > Note that we already have a usable Windows version using Cygwin
> > (and there's no real reason why that version can't include xganim;
> > it's just that the person who built the binary package didn't enable
> > Motif support, which xganim requires).
> >
> > It's the "native" Windows version which is currently still at an
> > "experimental" stage. Once it's "ready", the native version should be
> > a better option for most users, as Cygwin has problems of its own.
>
> .. there is no usable 6.2.x cygwin binary; if someone understands how to
> compile GRASS for cygwin, chances are they already have access to a UNIX
> machine somewhere already. For everyone else on windows there's a choice
> between an out of date development snapshot build for cygwin, and the
> experimental MSys development snapshot build ..

I managed to compile 6.2.1 (using DLLs) on the current version of
Cygwin without any detectable problems (other than that I forgot to
use the Unix/X11 Tcl/Tk, so NVIZ doesn't work).

Once I've recompiled with a working version of NVIZ, I can provide the
resulting binary package if someone tells me how to upload it.