[GRASS-user] Re: Regarding 2D Simulation Animation in Native WinGRASS!

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 11 20:45:00 EST 2007

yuri bay wrote:

> I am desparately in need of your help and advice.  Previously I have
> started  a very good round of discussions by enquiring about the
> Xganim function in  native binary WinGRASS.  Now I need to focus on
> getting a simulation model  running, with some basic animation.  My
> objective is to make a point/marker  to move from one location to
> another on a path on a street map, i.e. vector  animation.  I have
> tried Xganim, d.slide.show and d.mon, none can work! My  questions
> are:
>
> 1) Can this be done by updating the attribute table and refreshing
> native  WinGRASS screen?? How??
>
> 2) Is there an easy way to do 1)?

The "hardest" part is creating the individual frames. If you can do that
manually and save each to a graphics file*, you can use any number of
graphics encoders to make the animation. (This depends on the number of
frames in your movie of course, for 500 frames it may take a long time
:) You will have to search for an encoder to make the movie, I'm sure
there are many out there for windows. MPEG/AVI movie encoders will
probably take .ppm images, animated GIFs probably require you to convert
individual frames into GIF first.

[*] in the "Map Display" window, click the floppy disk icon "Export
display to a graphics file". Choose the PPM format, name your frames
frame0001.ppm, frame0002.ppm etc.
(there is no save as PNG format??)

> 3) As a contigency plan, can I install a Cygwin winGRASS and use it
> along the native WinGRASS that I already have?

I don't really know, but I'd think so. Try the new 6.2.1 Cygwin
binaries.

Hamish