[GRASS-user] r.fillnulls in the latest cvs version doesn't work appropriately

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 06:30:58 EST 2007

Hi,

I am trying to revert the changes. I think it is better to implement
print option from the scratch then trying to change the existing flags
behaviour. I agree that all scripts written for GRASS 6.x should work
without any modification. These changes should come with new version
of GRASS (GRASS 7.x). The question is when it will be. Maybe we should
collect more detailed ideas for GRASS7.

2007/2/12, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>:

[snip]

> We made a commitment that any script written for GRASS 6.0.0 should work
> the same or better for any version of GRASS up to GRASS 7, and that any
> data created for GRASS 6.0.0 will be compatible with any version of
> GRASS up to GRASS 7. The only thing worse than having to rewrite your
> scripts every time a new version of GRASS comes out (1-2 times a year)
> is having your script silently not do the thing you expect it to do
> after am upgrade. The lesson here is that messing with core modules and
> library functions should be done with extreme care.

I absolutely agree.

> AFAIU,
> * "g.region -m" by itself was and is meaninless. (doesn't print anything)

OK, using GRASS 6.2 I get the following:

g.region -m
n=4928000
s=4914020
w=590010
e=609000
nsres=10
ewres=10
rows=1398
cols=1899

so it seems to be same as g.region -gm.

-> currently g.region in GRASS6.3 has the same output.

> * "g.region -gm" is not the same as "g.region -pm"!
>    i.e. -m does not imply -g.

The only difference between -gm and -pm flags, which I can see, is
missing information about projection, ellipsoid and geodetic datum.

> * the "new way" is that "-g" be like "-m", a flag to change the state.

Yes, it was my idea.

> * the old -m did not restrict printing to just the res. Regardless of
> the merits of changing that to something more logical, doing that might
> break a script on someone from Basingstoke's customised Amstrad.

Currently using print flags in g.region should be "corrected", i.e. it
should be the same as in GRASS 6.2. I hope it is. For GRASS7 (maybe to
start implementing in GRASS 6.3 as an alternative) we can try to add a
print option.

Martin

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa *