[GRASS-user] Grass62 on X86_64

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Mon Feb 12 18:04:53 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 15:31 -0700, Craig Aumann wrote:
> I'm installing grass 62 on a Fedora 6, X86_64 machine.  Originally, I
> just pulled off the i386 rpms and installed those, but discovered that
> they were NOT compiled with postgresql support for some reason.  While I
> don't mind compiling grass62 again with this support, the problem is
> that the installed support libraries (gdal, proj, etc) are only for
> i386...  This is leading to all sorts of problems. How to find these
> libraries for x86_64, etc...

The i386 binaries will run fine, but I don't like to muck up my x86_64
system with i386 packages, either.

For FC6, the easiest method is to use yum and grab the following
packages (and dependencies):
proj-devel
geos-devel
libpng-devel
libjpeg-devel
tcl-devel
freetype2-devel
ncurses-devel
libtiff-devel
libX11-devel
fftw2-devel

There may be others, I'm forgetting.

You will also need to get the source for gdal and compile that as well.
You'll also need development libraries for any file formats you'd like
to work with as well.

As you can tell, this isn't for the faint of heart.  I haven't had any
requests for x86_64 FC binaries, so I haven't built them.  If I get a
few more, I'll build them for the next stable release.

> Given that there are many other things I would rather be doing and need
> to do than screw around with this, what's the fastest, easiest solution
> here?

Ditto.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785