[GRASS-user] r.fillnulls in the latest cvs version doesn't work appropriately

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 00:41:16 EST 2007

Michael wrote:
> Please let me know when the dust settles on how g.region is going to
> work now in GRASS 6.3.
>
> It is critical to the functionality of the GUI. A month or so back, I
> had to switch all the calls from g.region -g to g.region -gp. While
> I'd prefer not to have to switch them back, it is not a big effort to
> do so. I just need to know which syntax is going to be used.
>
> If there is going to be a change in g.region that could potentially
> break the GUI, it would be best if we could coordinate the changes to
> avoid this.

The whole idea of having a stable major version is that you should never
need to do that during any GRASS "6.x". Only if you want access to a new
feature.

Maris wrote:
> maybee as light offtopic, but one day I was thinking how to deal with
> changes, that break scripts/existing programms? No matter how hard we
> try to keep backwards compatability, still time to time we break some
> things.

Then they are bugs and we should either fix them or revert the change.

> Not a solution but a nice feature could be BREAKLOG.

I fear if we have that we may be tempted to use it. Certainly we need
one for a major version change (5->6, 6->7), and it is important to note
on the Wiki Plans roadmap page (-> next release announcement) when major
code changes happen in modules which subtly change the result without
actually breaking anything.

Hamish