[GRASS-user] GRASS 6.2.1-1 Installation Question

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Feb 19 10:46:57 EST 2007

Hamish wrote:

> If you ever manage to make it into GRASS you can try "g.gisenv --help" at
> the command prompt and see if you get a useful help message there.
> That will tell you if most of the program is working.
> g.gisenv is what sets $LOCATION.

If you have trouble getting past Init.sh and into a shell, one option
is to avoid the -text/-gui interaction altogether and just specify the
complete path to the mapset directory, e.g.:

	grass62 -text ~/grass-data/spearfish57/glynn

[equivalent to specifying database:/home/glynn/grass-data,
location:spearfish57, mapset:glynn in the start-up screen.]

If that doesn't work, you can try bypassing Init.sh altogether, by
creating a ~/.grassrc6 file and setting up the "session" manually.

This is what I use in my ~/.bashrc to make GRASS commands available
everywhere:

	export GISBASE=/opt/grass-6.3.cvs
	export GRASS_GNUPLOT='gnuplot -persist'
	export GRASS_WIDTH=640
	export GRASS_HEIGHT=480
	export GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=firefox
	export GRASS_PAGER=cat
	export GRASS_PERL=perl
	export GRASS_TCLSH=tclsh
	export GRASS_WISH=wish

	export PATH="$GISBASE/bin:$GISBASE/scripts:$PATH"
	export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$GISBASE/lib"
	export GRASS_LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

	export GIS_LOCK=$$
	export GRASS_VERSION="6.1.cvs"

	tmp=/tmp/grass6-"`whoami`"-$GIS_LOCK
	export GISRC="$tmp/gisrc"