[GRASS-user] GRASS 6.2.1-1 Installation Question

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 03:13:27 EST 2007

Ramu Narayanan wrote:
> Hello,
> I have installed grass6.2.1-1 on my WindowsXP machine with cygwin
> installed.  When I type grass62 in the xwin termainal window, the
> introductory slash screen sucessfully appears.  I proceed to enter the
> gis data directory, project location (spearfish60) and mapset (user1)
> and click 'Enter Grass'.  The following messages appear in the
> termainal window:
>
> : command not found2.1/etc/Init.sh: line 480:
> : command not found2.1/etc/Init.sh: line 480:
> : command not found2.1/etc/Init.sh: line 480:
> ERROR: Invalid return code from gis_set.tcl.
> Please advise GRASS developers of this error.
> /.gislock: No such file or directory
> ERROR: /usr/local/grass-6.2.1/etc/lock:
> rnarayan is currently running GRASS in selected mapset. Concurrent use
> not allowed.
>
> I have installed grass using the tcltk-grass package available on the
> mirror site ( http://grass.ibiblio.org)
>
> I had looked at Init.sh and therefore manually set the following
> environment variables as they appeared on line 480:
> TCLTKGRASSBASE
> GRASS_WISH
> to their respective directories but this did not have any affect.
>
> Can someone inform me about what I might be doing incorrectly?

Right, some environment variables aren't getting set correctly.

namely GRASS_WISH= is empty, and LOCATION= is empty for .gislock --

if a variable is empty it becomes "", ie nothing.

so if $LOCATION is empty:
 (from Init.sh)
# Check for concurrent use
lockfile="$LOCATION/.gislock"

becomes just "/.gislock", which is the wrong place to look.

can you try this at the xterm prompt:

cd /usr/local/grass-6.2.1/lib/
cygcheck /usr/local/grass-6.2.1/etc/lock.exe
cygcheck /usr/local/grass-6.2.1/bin/g.gisenv
cygcheck /usr/local/grass-6.2.1/bin/g.region

and look for any errors due to missing DLL libraries.
?

If you ever manage to make it into GRASS you can try "g.gisenv --help" at
the command prompt and see if you get a useful help message there.
That will tell you if most of the program is working.
g.gisenv is what sets $LOCATION.

can you try setting GRASS_WISH before entering GRASS?

at the xterm prompt:
GRASS_WISH=wish grass62
  or
GRASS_WISH=wish
export GRASS_WISH
grass62

"which wish" at the xterm prompt should show
/usr/local/bin/wish   or  /usr/local/bin/wish8.4

Hamish