[GRASS-user] Question about deprecacted EPSG codes

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 12:50:03 EST 2007

Hello Eric

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Patton, Eric wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was trying to create a new location from the command line with:
>
> g.proj -c location=NB_Stereo epsg=2036
>
> but received a seg fault. Checking the epsg code list in the Grass startup epsg code browser, I see that code 2036 for New Brunswick Double Stereographic is deprecated. Is this the source of the g.proj -c seg fault, or is the seg fault unrelated?

Possibly indirectly related (see below) but the direct cause is a bug in
the recent changes I made to g.proj, which I have now fixed in CVS. The
problem was there were datum parameters but no datum name, but the code
assumed if there were parameters there must be a name.

>A second question is why are some epsg codes deprecated in the first
place - what does deprecation mean in this sense? Does it imply that I won't be able to use this projection/datum combination in future versions of Grass?

I think it is what the maintainers of the EPSG database do when they make
a slight change to an entry in the database - they give it a new number
put keep the old one and mark it deprecated. But AFAIK it stays there
forever for backwards compatibility.
I would hazard a guess that the "improvement" that has caused 2036 to be
superceded might be the addition of a datum name, but no idea really.

Anyway, yes it will continue to work, and the bug is now fixed.

Paul

PS your e-mail contained some really long lines which made it awkward to
quote bits of it - is there any chance you could set your mail client to
wrap lines at 72 characters or something similar?