[GRASS-user] Question about deprecacted EPSG codes

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 20 11:19:56 EST 2007

Patton, Eric wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to create a new location from the command line with:
>
> g.proj -c location=NB_Stereo epsg=2036
>
> but received a seg fault. Checking the epsg code list in the Grass startup
> epsg code browser, I see that code 2036 for New Brunswick Double
> Stereographic is deprecated. Is this the source of the g.proj -c seg fault,
> or is the seg fault unrelated? A second question is why are some epsg codes
> deprecated in the first place - what does deprecation mean in this sense?
> Does it imply that I won't be able to use this projection/datum combination
> in future versions of Grass?

Eric,

The EPSG folks deprecate a code when they realize there is a serious error
in the definition (proper name, parameters, etc).  The deprecated code and
it's dependencies remains in the database, but the fixed version is created
as a new code and people are encouraged to use that.

I don't see any reason a code being deprecated should cause g.proj to crash.
This is likely due to something else.

Best regards,