[GRASS-user] Re: grassuser Digest, Vol 10, Issue 46

Bryan Main bryan.main at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 23:04:03 EST 2007

I am new to GRASS and have been having problems with the running of
grass.  I have installed the grass6.2.2cvs from the site on a Ubuntu
6.0.6.  I can get to the screen where it asks the location and
mapsets.  I have loaded the mapset for spearfish60 to play with and
get used to grass.  However after I get to where the button to "Enter
GRASS" come available and press it I get the following:
WELCOME TO GRASS              Version 6.2.2cvs         2006

   1) Have at your side all available GRASS tutorials

   2) When working on your location, the following materials
      are extremely useful:
      - A topo map of your area
      - Current catalog of available computer maps

   3) Check the GRASS webpages for feedback mailinglists and more:
      http://grass.itc.it/
      http://grass.ibiblio.edu/

Hit RETURN to continue

Starting GRASS ...
/usr/local/grass6.2.2cvs-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-10_02_2007/etc/Init.sh:
line 5 67: /usr/local/grass6.2.2cvs-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-10_02_2007/bin/g.gisenv:
c annot execute binary file
/usr/local/grass6.2.2cvs-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-10_02_2007/etc/Init.sh:
line 5 68: /usr/local/grass6.2.2cvs-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-10_02_2007/bin/g.gisenv:
c annot execute binary file
/usr/local/grass6.2.2cvs-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-10_02_2007/etc/Init.sh:
line 5 69: /usr/local/grass6.2.2cvs-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-10_02_2007/bin/g.gisenv:
c annot execute binary file
/usr/local/grass6.2.2cvs-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-10_02_2007/etc/Init.sh:
line 5 75: /usr/local/grass6.2.2cvs-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-10_02_2007/etc/lock:
canno t execute binary file
Unable to properly access ///.gislock
Please notify system personal.

and it kicks me out.  I don't know what else to try as I've tried to
find some of the needed libs, but none will unpack as they say I'm
missing the libc6, which I have unpacked on my machine but I still get
the same error messages.  I have been trying for about a week on and
off trying to figure out what I need or don't need.  I have some
limited Linux experience, and most of that is from 7-8+ years ago in
college.  The laptop I plan to be working on will not be connected to
the Internet as I have seen the Ubuntu site say it should be.

I am willing to switch Linux versions if need be as I had an older
copy of Fedora 4 that I also tried to install GRASS on, but I couldn't
get past the install.  So if there is a better Linux to run GRASS on
to where I can buy a book and install CD instead of downloading I
would prefer that.  I hope that I am just missing something minor that
will allow me to work with what I have.  I am willing to learn what I
need to, I just can't seem to find the right information that I need.

The next item I wanted to ask about is where I might be able to obtain
GRASS data for Ireland.  I'm looking for the following: Coastline of
Ireland, contours, archaeological sites, waterways, county lines,
roadways and cities.  The last three are the least important.  I would
like to do personal research using a GIS of Ireland.

I should also introduce myself.  I have a BS in Geography/Cartography,
though that was 1995.  I have used MapInfo, ArcInfo (DOS), and am
currently doing aeronautical charts.  I also took a few C courses
after graduation so I have a bit of programing experience.  I have
been wanting to do my own research using a GIS for years, and finally
I bought a computer so I could start.

Hopefully someone can give me a hand.  Thank you,
Bryan Main