[GRASS-user] Installing on Windows XP 64

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Sun Feb 25 19:04:28 EST 2007

X64 has a bug in it related to opening large files with 32 bit software.
  Worse yet, it is not very repeatable, but the bug crops up with
programs like photoshop and open office calc. [Even CS3 isn't compiled
for x64!) The problem is in gdi32.dll. I don't know if this will be a
problem for GRASS, but I think it's likely to be.

That said, I really suggest installing suse 10.2 and just running grass
in linux. It isn't very hard to compile. This way you will get real 64
bit performance. Probably not in memory space, but there are additional
instructions used when running 64 bit code. Suse 10.2 will dual boot.