[GRASS-user] Re: Cygwin winGRASS 6.2 (Working!) and Slide Show (not working)

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 25 20:21:00 EST 2007

yuri bay wrote:
> >did libpd4 and postgresql come from cygcheck DLL errors or previous
> >discussion? (i.e. are they missing from setup.ini same as jasper,
> >fftw3?)
>
> For the previous cygwin winGRASS installation problem, I have used the
> cygcheck for g.region and the DLL error is cygpg dll cannot be found.
>
> Searching that on cygwin site gave the libpd4 and postgresql, all the
> mentioned packages are missing on the initial setup.ini.

http://grass.itc.it/grass62/binary/mswindows/setup.ini

the last item in GRASS's requires: list is postgresql, so that should be
installed automatically.

> >g.region rast=G_Newmap1
> >d.mon x0
> >d.slide.show prefix=G_Newmap
>
> As for the d.slide.show, I have used the following commands provided
> because I do not have a raster file:
>
> d.mon x0
> d.slide.show prefix=G_Newmap
>
> The xmon window only displayed a number of specified monitors but with
> blanks, i.e. no vector graphics or any graphics displayed.

you need to use the -v flag to view vectors. Most things in GRASS
default to raster maps because that was historically GRASS's focus.

> My question are:
>
> 1)  Do I need to create a raster file for the slide show to work.

no.

> 2) What is the usual (correct) behaviour of the d.slide.show function,
> i.e.  does it shows the specified vector files each at one time on
> each of the specified monitors?

if across=1 and down=1 it will be like a slide show. The default is to
be more like a 4x3 photographic contact sheet. When the 12th image is
shown it will overwrite the 1st with the 13th.

xganim or r.out.mpeg seem more like what you want, but they are for
rasters only. you could convert vectors to raster with v.to.rast, but I
think the best solution is to write a script (or do by hand) to display
each frame, write to a graphics file (d.out.file, d.out.png), then do
the next frame, etc. Finally combine the individual frames into a single
animation (eg animated GIF or MPEG). see:
  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Movies

Hamish