[GRASS-user] working properly with grass6.1

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 17:28:13 EST 2007

Precila Salcedo wrote:
> I did experience the same problem when installing
> grass.i also installed it on windowsXP.could it be
> that OS has something to do with it? ...i just dont
> have any idea if GRASS fow Windows is being developed
> at the rate they are doing for Linux..i hope someone
> is developing it for the benefit of those who are
> using this OS.

I have GRASS 6.2.1 (using cygwin) installed on one of our Windows XP
machines here, & all working well as far as I've tested.

Joshi:
> "child process exited abnormally"
> As i have already checked grass6.2 but this is also showing the same
> ERROR.

Usually this is because of a missing library (DLL). You need to run
cygcheck on one of GRASS's module programs to discover which DLL is
missing. See the Windows download page for GRASS 6.2 for details. You
start grass 6.2 from an xterm window with the "grass62" command.
("startx" from the Cygwin prompt to start X windows and open an xterm)

There is no grass62.bat. I'd be surprised if the older versions conflict
with the newer versions (everything is contained in /usr/local/grass-6.2.1/),
but I guess it is possible.

Hamish