[GRASS-user] SRTM data, postgis and topographic maps

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 13:42:56 EST 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 09:15, Bruce Bushby wrote:
> Hello Grass users,
>
> I'm hoping to find somebody who understands SRTM data and wouldn't mind
> sharing a few pointers.
>
> I've downloaded various data sets, GTOPO30, SRTM30, SRTM3 and SRTM1 and
> have tried to understand the various DEM formats (geotiff, DEM, binary
> rasta etc)
>
> Is it possible to import the data into a PostGIS database as data rather
> then a BLOB? I was hoping there was coordinate/height data which I could
> use.

Not currently, but ask on the postgis list for the most recent updates on
raster storage.

> My goal is to have grass generate a topo map given a specified
> location/scale and perhaps have a crack at generating movie fly overs.
> My Grass is compiled with FFmpeg.

If this is your goal, then the route is fairly simple:

r.in.gdal in=yourfile out=dem
r.contour map=dem ...

or, if you would like slightly nicer output, use GMT for the contouring and
final map preparation. Here is one such example of overlaying contours on an
aerial photo:
http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/grass_user_group/map1.html

an image of simple contours with GMT can be found here:
http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/grass_user_group/elev.eps.png

For fly-overs try nviz

> Any pointers much appreciated.
>
> Cheers