[GRASS-user] SRTM data, postgis and topographic

Bruce Bushby bruce.bushby at rmsaudio.com
Thu Jan 4 13:59:04 EST 2007

Hi Jarek

Thanks for getting back to me!

"..what you mean SRTM30?.." -- I used wget to download all SRTM data
available from nasa at ftp://e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/version2 , the
data available is broken down into SRTM1, SRTM3, SRTM30 and SWBD
(Oceans). Point your browser to the link and it should list the various
sets.

"..simply: use NVIZ.." -- hmm..I see that, thanks, will have a play with
it.

I understand Grass can't write back to PostGIS. I was hoping that I
could "parse/export" the SRTM data and import into the database.

These guys seem to be playing with SRTM data beyond it's "rasta" format.
http://www.okino.com/conv/imp_dem.htm

Also, here is a larger map of South America
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/topo/img/sa.gif

I guess I don't understand SRTM data or it's format and probably need to
go google more :) I keep thinking that SRTM data has numerical values,
coordinates/height and is not just rasta.

Thanks again!