[GRASS-user] Label lines

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 16:08:57 EST 2007

> > > I would like to create some street-name-labels for my street-vector-
> > > layer to use it in ps.map. However, labels are always printed
> > > horizontally and not along the lines of the vector layer. Is it possible
> > > to get this done somehow?
> >
> > Use v.label -a ("Rotate labels to align with lines") and utilize the
> > created labels file in ps.map with 'labels' command.
> > Haven't tried that, but it should work according to *manual*.

(yes, it works)

> I've tried it, but it often looks horrible, as each character is aligned with
> the bit of vector it's nearest --- when the line is very curved it can look
> hideous.

That is the "-c" curl flag, not the "-a" align flag. The align flag figures out
a single 'rotate' value for each label, not each letter.

For improvements to the curl option, I see two options:

- instead of rotation for each letter matching the local line slope exactly, do
a cubic interpolation and fit the letters to the curve. ie smooth it.

- rotate by word instead of each letter

Hamish