[GRASS-user] Grass5.3 for Debian download

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 16:26:24 EST 2007

Chavoux Luyt wrote:
> I have some old data that was generated using GRASS5.3 . When I try to
> open it in GRASS 6, I get the following errors:
> WARNING: Fail of initial read of compressedfile [img.1 in boer]
> WARNING: unable to open raster map [img.1 in boer]
> ERROR: Unable to open cellfile for [img.1]
>
> It looks like it is the command: "d.rgb red=img.1 green=img.2
> blue=img.3", that gives this problem.
>
> A quick google shows that newer versions of GRASS (I haven't used it
> now for some time) don't support cell files anymore?

the raster map format hasn't changed at all. If you have problems with
raster maps check the files. I can't find the "Fail of initial read of
compressedfile" error message anywhere- what specific 6.x version is
this?

the vector and sites formats *have* changed from GRASS 5; you will need
to run v.convert or v.convert.all, and v.in.sites or v.in.sites.all to
make them usable with GRASS 6.

> I just need to change some of the colours of the vector maps
> overlaying the image, so I don't really want to go through a whole
> data transformation/import process. Is the old GRASS 5.3 debian
> packages still available for download somewhere? I'm running Debian
> Sarge at present and used to run GRASS 5.3 on Knoppix when Sarge was
> still the testing version of Debian, so it should run without problems

GRASS 5.3 was a development version without release. If you are looking,
look for a package of GRASS 5.4.0. Or download the source code from the
"old versions" section of the GRASS download page compile it yourself:
  http://hamish.bowman.googlepages.com/debiangisfiles#compile
(that's for GRASS 6, but mostly the same. I have older instructions
buried somewhere if you find you really need them)

> (if I could get it to install without overwriting any of the GRASS 6
> files).

you can safely have two versions of GRASS installed at the same time.
(hell, I've got 7 different official versions installed right now)

Hamish