[GRASS-user] Grass5.3 for Debian download

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jan 31 20:47:19 EST 2007

Hamish wrote:

> > I have some old data that was generated using GRASS5.3 . When I try to
> > open it in GRASS 6, I get the following errors:
> > WARNING: Fail of initial read of compressedfile [img.1 in boer]
> > WARNING: unable to open raster map [img.1 in boer]
> > ERROR: Unable to open cellfile for [img.1]
> >
> > It looks like it is the command: "d.rgb red=img.1 green=img.2
> > blue=img.3", that gives this problem.
> >
> > A quick google shows that newer versions of GRASS (I haven't used it
> > now for some time) don't support cell files anymore?
>
> the raster map format hasn't changed at all.

Well, it has been extended (support for 64-bit offsets on 32-bit
systems, and ability to use gzip compression for integer maps), but
anything which was written by 5.3 can be read by 6.x.

> If you have problems with
> raster maps check the files. I can't find the "Fail of initial read of
> compressedfile" error message anywhere- what specific 6.x version is
> this?

He omitted the space between "compressed" and "file"; the error
message is from G__read_row_ptrs():

    G_warning(_("Fail of initial read of compressed file [%s in %s]"),
	      fcb->name, fcb->mapset);

The error indicates either a corrupt cell/fcell file, or a mismatch
between the cellhd file and the cell/fcell file (the cols, rows,
format and compressed fields in the cellhd affect the reading of the
cell/fcell file).