[GRASS-user] Re: some interesting tools for working with LAS format

Bernhard Reimar Hoefle Bernhard.Hoefle at uibk.ac.at
Tue Jul 3 09:40:22 EDT 2007

Hi!
I've already used the LAS Tools by M. Isenburg: easy to compile and no
dependencies. It would be great to have the full functionality within GRASS.

The tool "las2txt" can be used to generate ASCII Files that can be imported with
r.in.xyz or v.in.ascii. The LAS file format does offer a lot of possibilities
for data storage and hence data extraction (http://www.lasformat.org/).

I can think of some modules:
 * r.in.las
 * v.in.las
 * v.out.las

An easy version would be to ask M. Isenburg, if we can use his code and build
shell scripts around his executables.
A second solution - with much more effort - would be to integrate his code into
GRASS C modules.

Bernhard Höfle