[GRASS-user] 3D TIN?

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Sat Jul 7 13:01:02 EDT 2007

S. Merlo wrote:
> Dear GRASS users,
>
> I have a question about exporting TINs to dxf. I have successfully
> managed to perform the export and opened the TIN files created with
> v.delaunay in CAD. Problem is, the z value of the TIN points is 0
> and my TIN is flat (not what I wanted to achieve). Am I doing
> something wrong or is this what should happen? Is there a command
> that would allow the export of 3D TINs? Is this an export problem
> only or is the command v.delaunay not producing a 3D file?

v.info your_vector will tell if the vector is 3D or not. If it is, it
might be (not sure) that v.out.dxf flattens it at export.

If your CAD program can read shapefiles, export with v.out.ogr which
should preserve the third dimension.

Or, if you can import a txt list of 3D points into your CAD to build
the TIN from them, consider extracting your triangle nodes with
v.to.points -n as 3D points and export them with v.out.ascii
format=point into a text file.

Maciek