[GRASS-user] Scientific Comparison between GRASS and Proprietary Remote Sensing/GIS Software

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Mon Jul 9 07:57:45 EDT 2007

Hamish wrote:

> corollary- what are the licensing costs to buy every proprietary toolbox
> needed to match the features of a full GRASS install?
> Can it be done for < US$10,000? <$50,000? <$100,000??

I would like to add an important aspect I am working on now: cluster
computing. There is a big potential in parallellizing algorithms within
GRASS, and that would really be unaffordable with commercial
GIS-software. A Linux cluster nowadays doesn't cost anything any more,
and with free software the possibilities for development are limitless.

Jan Hartmann

Dr. J. Hartmann
Department of Geography
University of Amsterdam