[GRASS-user] Scientific Comparison between GRASS and Proprietary Remote Sensing/GIS Software

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Mon Jul 9 08:38:34 EDT 2007

On 09.07.2007 14:57, Jan Hartmann wrote:

> I would like to add an important aspect I am working on now: cluster
> computing. There is a big potential in parallellizing algorithms within
> GRASS, and that would really be unaffordable with commercial
> GIS-software. A Linux cluster nowadays doesn't cost anything any more,
> and with free software the possibilities for development are limitless.

That would make an excellent topic for next year's Google Summer of
Code. To parallelisize the raster modules to begin with. Thanks for the
idea :D

This year we got the most interest in task involving algorithms. I hope
this would also be a popular subject :)

--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>