[GRASS-user] Scientific Comparison between GRASS and Proprietary Remote Sensing/GIS Software

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Mon Jul 9 09:59:10 EDT 2007

Hm, I am just writing a proposal for a large German/Dutch project on
historical mapping in the Euregio (Maastricht/Aachen/Liège region), in
the order of €1000000. It will be hosted at SARA Computing Center of the
University of Amsterdam, with 5 dedicated nodes within a large Linux
cluster, and completely based on Open Source (MapServer, PostGIS, GDAL
and PL/R). Until now, I had not thought of GRASS for this project,
although I have been working with GRASS from the early nineties, as my
project is essentially directed towards end-users, and as you probably
know, it is horribly difficult to get this kind of people working with
GRASS. Things are getting better nowadays with programs like QGis and
the interactive interface, but it is still a long haul.

Technically and financially, it would be easy to extend the number of
nodes to allow research on parallellizing Open Source, but I do not have
the time and knowledge to coordinate it (my main interest and expertise
is in historical cartography). I have been thinking of contracting the
main developers of MapServer etc, whom I know reasonably well, to see if
they could organise something along those lines, e.g. within the OsGEO
communities.  Again, the problem is not so much finance, but getting
people who can invest their time and knowledge to formulate specific
goals, and coordinate and guide the process so as to deliver concrete
results over a period of (say) three years. This has to be organised in
some formal way, as it concerns quite a lot of money. Any interest for
this with the GRASS-developers?

Jan

Dr. J. Hartmann
Department of Geography