[GRASS-user] r.in.gdal

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 23:37:04 EDT 2007

goldneaa wrote:
> I have a projection with the g.region -p
> projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
> zone:       0
> datum:      nad83
> ellipsoid:  grs80
> north:      38:30N
> south:      35N
> west:       107:30W
> east:       104W
> nsres:      0:00:01
> ewres:      0:00:01
> rows:       12600
> cols:       12600
> cells:      158760000
>
> I have already imported DEM data from seamless.usgs.gov.  I am
> currently trying to import a converted tiff from netcdf file into my
> mapset.  When I use r.in.gdal I use flags -o and -e to use the current
> mapset.  It gives me the warnings
>
> Over-riding projection check.
>
> G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North
>
> The north, south, east, and west coordinates are different in the tiff
>
> file, but why wont the file just use the override and import into my
> mapset?

what does gdalinfo say about the spatial extent of the netcdf file?
Probably some number > 90.

Load that into a new location (r.in.gdal location=) then use r.proj to
pull the map back into your lat/lon location from the projected
location.

If the netcdf file has no spatial info, you need to use one of the
georeferencing tools to line it up by hand or make a new location
manually if the projection parameters are known from some other source.

Hamish