[GRASS-user] 1)Color rules problem loading srtm.hgt 2)Merge two raster

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 04:21:43 EDT 2007

If you are using data from SRTM30_PLUS, you shouldn't use r.in.srtm,
but r.in.bin

try:

r.in.bin -s -b input=/home/guano/Desktop/w060s10.Bathmetry.srtm
output=teste bytes=2 north=-10 south=-60 east=-20 west=-60 rows=6000
cols=4800 --overwrite

remember to set bytes=2, turn byte swap (-b) and signed data (-s)

BTW, according to the site:
Ocean data are based on the Smith and Sandwell global 2-minute grid
between latitudes +/- 72 degrees. Higher resolution grids have been
added from the LDEO Ridge Multibeam Synthesis Project and the NGDC
Coastal Relief Model. Arctic bathymetry is from the International
Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans (IBCAO) [Jakobsson et al., 2003].

cheers

Carlos

On 7/13/07, nikguitar <nikguitar at gmail.com> wrote:

> >You can't do bathymetry with SRTM data.  DEM, yes.
>
> I have found bathymetry data only in srtm files
> (http://topex.ucsd.edu/WWW_html/srtm30_plus.html). Do you have another place
> to search?
>
> >Could you post the actual command you are using to import?  Are you
> >using 1-arcsecond or 3-arcsecond SRTM data?
>
> r.in.srtm -1
> input=/
Users/nik/Documents/files_nik/doc/rhul/works/phd/source/srtm_namibia/w020n40.srtm.hgt
> output=bath
>
> I have tried both, and both result in the same error
> ---Your color rules do not cover the whole range of data!---
> ---(rules -500.000000 to 8850.000000 but data 0.000000 to 65535.000000)----
>
> >You might want to check out the GRASS Newsletters.  There's lots of good
> >information there on working with SRTM data.
>
> Ok, I'll dig better....
>
> Thank you
>

> --

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Visiting Researcher at Kingston University London - UK
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke