[GRASS-user] Creating temp tables

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jul 17 17:15:00 EDT 2007

> 41a8e3/attachment-0001.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:30:54 -0500
> From: "Nithi, Nachi K \(Karun\)" <karun at research.bell-labs.com>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] Firstpost: Creatng temp tables instead of
> 	regular	tables for vectormaps in mysql
> To: <grassuser at grass.itc.it>
>

> Hi All,
> This is my first post.
>
> When we create vector maps in grass with MYSQL as the database it always
> creates tables that are regular (permanent). I am wondering whether
> there is a way to create temporary tables instead. The problem with
> permanent tables is that Mysql creates corresponding files on the disk
> where the underlying database tables are stored. This in turn leads to
> disk fragmentation,  if we have to create hundreds of maps a day. Any
> idea other than changing the source code? Or will it be made as an
> option?
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Karun

Hi Karun,

I suspect MySQL / Grass users must be thin on the ground, because I've
been wondering the same thing.

My workaround has been:

Create new map (eg, as a vector import)
Create view in MySQL
Use v.db.connect to connect the vector to the view instead of the
unwanted table
Drop the unwanted MySQL table.

Perhaps the same process may be scriptable instead of trying to edit the
source code?

V.external creates a read-only map-database link, but I haven't been
able to get the DSN link working in a Mac, so I don't know if that is
useful for you.

Richard Chirgwin