[GRASS-user] g.list pager

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 11:49:32 EDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Daniel Victoria wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recall that some time ago, when I issued "g.list rast" I would get
> the list of rasters and the command prompt right after it. Now, when I
> run the command I get the raster list and no command prompt. I have to
> hit q to get back to the prompt and the raster list is gone, just like
> when reading a man page. I tried to change GRASS_PAGER env to more,
> cat but nothing happened. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Debian

Yes, setting GRASS_PAGER to cat should give you the behaviour you
describe, I think. Are you sure it was set properly? Most GRASS modules
that use the GRASS_PAGER environment variable call it with system() or
similar and pass it the name of a temporary file, whereas g.list (actually
G_list() in lib/gis/list.c) starts it using G_popen() and passes the list
to it on stdin, but I can't see how that should make any difference.

Paul