[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] GRASS "custom" applications

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 29 04:29:38 EDT 2007

Thomas Adams wrote:
> I am also interested in an unrelated 'custom applcation' that would
> essentially combine a series of GRASS analyses into single step processes
> utilizing the GRASS GUI to initiate the analyses and set some parameters

write a simple script containing the commands using g.parser. See the g.parser
help page or any of the scripts in the scripts/ dir of the grass source code.
It's very easy and indistinguishable from a regular grass module.

> Should there be some facility within the GRASS GUI that allows people such
> as myself to generate some GUI tool that can simply be "dropped" into GRASS
> and appear in some consistent way in the main GRASS GUI? The main GRASS menu
> bar *may*, for instance, have a new 'Other' or 'Add-on' or 'Custom' or
> 'Tools' or whatever menu item to go with the existing
> ones 'Raster', 'Vector', 'Imagery', 'Volumes', etc.).

The GEM interface adds and Extensions (Xtns?) menu on the top bar for custom
applications, and as Michael noted, it's easy to patch in custom menu items,
even after installation.

Benjamin wrote:
> I think it is a really useful tool for developing and deploying complex
> sets of GRASS add-on modules that are not meant to be hosted in the main
> CVS repository. It has done a good job for me for many years now.

Perhaps an article demonstrating it in for some addons SVN module set
(satellite stuff?) could be written for the OSGeo journal? That could help give
it some needed exposure and a working tutorial.

Hamish